Azzip (pizza) of Bloomington Indiana

It's pronounced Ay-Zip, and I'm happy to finally patronize this fresh regional chain. Located in the mall, it's kind of like a Subway. You can pick one of a few varieties of crust, like the zip, the big zip, the square zip, and the gluten free style, then you choose your sauce and toppings. Everyone gets their own pizza, however they like it. Each Zip comes with one meat and unlimited veggies. And the monthly special is a Crab Rangoon pizza. While I think a plain cheese is the measure of quality, Crab Rangoon Pizza sounds good! Either way, I couldn't pass up some free toppings on half my pizza.
The ratio for my Big Zip was 2cr/2ce/2ch. Their crust gets a 1 out of 5. I don't mind that the crusts are pre-stretched. The texture is chewy, flexible, and a little crispy on the handles. But there's no flavor. It's like they added baking soda to compensate for yeast and sugar, and kneaded their dough to the extreme. The only time I caught some flavor in the crust, it was more like a saltine than a pizza. And I looked around at all the other customers happily enjoying their Zips, and couldn't help but wonder why they weren't talking about this weird crust. Next time I'll try the Square Zip, which looks more like a pan pizza.
Oh well. Their sauce gets a 4 out of 5. It's adequately thick and smooth, delicious. A good pomodoro sauce. For overall quality, they get a Bloomington 4. Aside from the crust, there was nothing really wrong with the pizza. It could've used more time in the oven, but I like how fast they were able to churn out this food.

For style, I have to give Azzip a 5 out of 5. You order at a counter, and can get your own soda refills. Nobody needs to come to your table. There are also beers on tap for people who like those, and a hot sauce/seasoning station. Their pizza dust is delicious, for whatever's in it. Garlic salt and stuff. Azzip does fast food right, except for their weird crust. So their final score is a 70%. They say flavor favors the bold, but I that can't always be the case. Either way, if you want to try something new and cool, check out Azzip.

No comments:

Post a Comment