Dragonsbane by Barbara Hambly

 


A cool, fairly recent thing is that my mom works for a tiny bible college and cleans the dorms.  That means she gets very first dibs on everything the students leave behind.  And I ended up with a big pile of unread fantasy novels.  

Initially Dragonsbane checked a lot of boxes for me.  It was written in the 80s by a woman and the protagonist is a sorceress.  Incidentally, Dragonsbane also represents a lot of what most people don't like about fantasy novels.  Even toward the end when everything is getting resolved, Hambly persistently trudges on about the scenery and what everyone is wearing.  Also.  Dragons are very tired.  I guess things were different in the 80s.  

Still I would recommend this book to anyone who already loves fantasy.  Some of the scenes are truly terrifying.  Others will likely bring a tear to your eye.  And I have a few more of Barbara Hambly's books, so I will probably be reading another one and writing of it eventually.  

3 comments:

  1. I haven’t read much non TSR fantasy, but I’ve always loved fantasy lore. Dragons consistently are written like sentient cats. They like shiny things, they’d prefer to be napping, and they really only leave their lair to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get totally get down on some TSR, though I do get bored when there are too many fight scenes.

      Delete
    2. anyway. fantasy lore rules. thanks for commenting on the blog. somebody important should do a remodel on dragons maybe.

      Delete