The Crib by Paul Kent


Since October was coming and I've been reading a lot of books, I figured some thrillers were in order.  This one was at The Salvation Army, which makes me assume it's more popular than if I'd seen it at Half-Priced Books.  Also I could tell its been read, which is also a testimony.  

In The Crib, Stuart Rice is an epidemiologist whose neighbor's crib is a family heirloom that kills babies.  Later we find out when the babies are killed and later we find out why.  Is Stuart going to save a baby from dying?  Does it even matter?  No.  

Was I scared?  No.  In fact, I had a hard time finishing this one even though the chapters are all exactly 5 pages long.  Perhaps I could have read a little chunk and found myself too scared to sleep so I'd pick it up again and get even more scared.  Is that how it's supposed to work?  

Bear in mind, this is my first adult thriller.  The world itself, I think, is also a lot more scary than it was in 1987 when this book was published.  Sudden Infant Death Syndrome doesn't scare me.  

1 comment:

  1. Pretty wild. I do remember as a kid, SIDS was a regular scare story on the news.

    ReplyDelete