Stavro's Pizza of Orange City Florida

If you're reading this, you're probably aware of my opions on Florida pizza's complacency with delivering little more than a passable approximation to the New York style. At the least, Stavro's gave us something a little different. Their pie had a ratio of 2cr/2ce/3ch*. The dough gets a 3 out of 5. It held itself together without getting too soggy, but it was somewhat bready and lacking in flavor, likely underproofed and underkneaded.
Their sauce also gets a 3 out of 5. It didn't pop the way I might like it to. In fact, it could have easily have come from a huge can that read "Pizza Sauce." There was no tang.
For style, I guess I'll give Stavros another 3 out of 5. It's not same as everywhere else around, and I dug the establishment's aim for coziness without pretention. There are a number of other italian dishes on the menu, which I'd like to try, but I might expect some form of pasta that's been sitting in the cooler for weeks. But you never know until you try. This is just speculation, as Pizza is often the best deal on the menu. We also got the chicken finger appetizer, which had to have come directly from a box in the freezer.

For overall quality, I'll give Stavro's a 4 out of 5. And mind you, this isn't Bloomington Indiana. This is central Florida, where cooking jobs are reserved for grown-ups who need to work. I found nothing wrong with the construction and presentation of our pie. But will I go out of my way to get it again when there are better joints just around the corner? Probably not. With a final score of 65%, I would recommend Stavro's to anyone very hungry within its two mile radius.

No comments:

Post a Comment