Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Somewhere I was given the advice to read the types of things I want to write, or someday get published. So on my quest for a good Fantasy/Romance, I found this one. Obsidian is one of many in its own class of Twilight-types. It's told from the first person of a likeable teenage girl who grudgingly falls into a complicated love affair with a supernatural, hunk of humanoid in the form of a teenage boy.

So this isn't the type of thing I try to write, and I could have read more into the existing reviews. Oh well. I don't consider the experience wasted. Obsidian is about aliens in the mountains of West Virginia, with some connection to the Moth Man. For those of you who don't read fantasy, there are certain rules about Hard Magic and Soft Magic. Armentrout clearly didn't understand these rules. You see, Soft Magic is mysterious and chaotic, and shouldn't be deployed as a means to resolve a story.

Sorry if that's somewhat of a spoiler for those of you who thought this supernatural teen romance was really going to have a tragic ending, only to grow more tragic in its two sequels. The biggest tragedy was the lack of sex in this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment