Gatti's Pizza of Martinsville, IN

I could take for days about Gatti's (or Mr. Gatti's) Pizza, but I'll keep it to a few paragraphs. At the location in Ashland Kentucky, I used their buffet to set a personal eating record of 21 slices, including crust. They were small slices, but I will always remember the victory. On Sunday nights, while I was in jr. high school, my dad would drive a van of college students to the church where he worked, and on the way home, we'd usually pick up a stack of Gatti's pizza, which I would stuff myself with and stuff myself again for breakfast while watching Zaboomafoo. Those school days were filled with belly-burning farts, but I didn't mind. I was a pig for that pizza.

So I'm going to try my best to be unbiased. While the Martinsville shop is a buffet, filled with erratically staggering anti-maskers, I usually prefer a fresh pie. Buffets are good, but with my 35-year-old metabolism, I have to prepare for a few days before that level of gorge. Let's talk about the pizza. It has a ratio of 2cr2ce2ch, perfect. Their crust is a little weird. While delivering a perfect goo factor, it seems to have either too much gluten or too much baking powder. It's crispy and chewy, and tastes good, but it's more stiff than you'd expect. I love this crust, but I'm going to be objective and give it a 3/5.

But their sauce gets a 5/5. It's super good, and I'm not totally sure why. It's thick and savory, and maybe has shredded onions in it? I don't know, but I think I could detect it if they used msg. I can't get enough.

As you can see, the old ladies at the shop really didn't put much love into this pie. However, there's nothing really wrong with it, despite a poor covering on the crust. It was cooked well, and the cheese had a really nice stretch. I really want to give it a 3 for overall quality, but I guess I'll go with a 2/5.

For style, I'll give Gatti's a 5. Either you love it or you'd much rather have something else, the way people feel about Pizza King, which is a pizza with definite style. Gatti's Pizza joints usually have a game/arcade room, which is sometimes comically shabby and sometimes really sweet. Their buffet has soft serve ice cream, salad, pasta, and other great stuff. I also love that they don't have table service. And to top it off, they offer a "value" pizza, which is like a regular pie but cheaper because it has less stuff on it. With a side of sauce, this is perfect because there's only so much cheese you can handle in one sitting.

Gatti's Pizza ends with a score of 75%, which makes me happy. I love it, and try to stop in as often as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment