Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

I think Ursula LeGuin recommended this classic in her Steering the Craft book on writing narratives. I wonder if people who take British Literature have to read Jane Eyre. Maybe I should find out. I think it was a good read, so far as I could tell. You might call her prose Aristocratic, and I think it was all somewhat goth. Perhaps the greatest aspect of it was in Brontë's incredible vocabulary.

Jane, modeled after her writer, went to a very strict school for girls, and came out very religious and disciplined, probably a better person for it all. Then comes the love story, which is fine as far as love stories go. It's hard to approve of Jane's choice of man, since her story takes place in a time when most men were probably worse for their disposition. But he was an extremely eloquent guy, nearly as verbose as Frankenstein's monster.

No comments:

Post a Comment