I Am Legend by Richard Matheson

This is a pretty cool story for anyone who is into zombies, vampires, apocalypses, or all three. Out of the three, I might be more of an apocalypse kind of guy. I'm glad Mathis didn't try to make all of his vampires totally irresistible. Vampires sound sexy on paper, but it's hard not to imagine their cold, slimy, corpulent saliva on your warm, living human lips. Their eyes are always unsexy, too.

I Am Legend also gets philosophical, for all of you who prefer books that are super deep. Who hasn't felt like they were all alone in the world, or at the very least, the last of their kind? If you don't already feel that way, then you could probably try to fix it by drinking a lot of whiskey; exclusively whiskey, boarding up the windows of your heart.

Jokes aside, I thought I Am Legend was a good book. It starts at an interesting point in the story, and goes back in time when the past events become relevant. It doesn't wait until the last minute to tell you things that you deserved to know a hundred pages ago, and it doesn't tell you too much stuff that's not scary and not part of the story. I haven't yet seen the movie of it, but I bet it's pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment