Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson

I've seen all of Brandon Sanderson's youtube videos, and I know he is a master in his realm, writing fantasy stories that are both very accessible and very long. Steelheart wasn't meant to be my first Sanderson novel, but I found it on paperback, and I'd been spending most of this spring outdoors, which isn't great for reading ebooks.

Steelheart is a real page turner, and every chapter ends with one of those 'oh no!' moments. Each was exciting, and every piece of explanation and back story was placed and spaced with such expertise. Sanderson knows his audience, because he is his audience, the guy who has every star wars figure, and has followed every storyline in the marvel universe. While Steelheart is masterfully entertaining, I found it lacking in theme, with less substance than a long episode of the X-Men.

No comments:

Post a Comment