Giovanni's Pizza of Grayson Kentucky

Sometimes I refer to a pizza as 'midwestern', though the region has coined many styles, unlike the south, appalachia, and the midland. And I like to think, since writing about so much 'za, I've developed a very discerning palate. From a land of small pizza chains, Giovanni's (also a small chain), founded in 1964, has stood the test of time. They make the pizza all other midland chains are striving for. My first time eating Giovanni's pizza was at the 10th birthday party of two guys from my school, Kyle and Kenton Stewart. Each of them invited their entire class, and I was the only kid who showed up. Perhaps the rest of town was privy to some kind of dirt. With three kids and a mom, it was a good party to me. At the time, I thought Giovanni's was all right. It's like Tom's Pizza, which was down the street, but more like a real restaurant. Giovanni's sold Snyder Potato Chips, and Tom's sold Tom's chips. Tom's is no more. The ratio for Giovanni's Pizza is 3cr/2ce/2ch. I'll give their sauce a score of 4 out of 5. It's adequately thick and full of tomato flavor. There were some herbs, more for balance than distinction. Their sauce also has a noticeable shade of pepperocini, which I think realy sets it off. p> Giovanni's crust also gets a 4 out of 5, chewy on a thin bottom layer, and heavenly soft the rest of the way. Without the risk of breaking, slices fold easily. The crust is deliciously sweet, soaked with that perfect combination of zingy sauce and cheesy grease. I would have liked it more festive, with more sauce and even more cheese. It's rare that I consider ordering a pizza with extra cheese, but Giovanni's has the right idea, mixing provolone with their mozzarella. Their style gets a 4 out of 5. They have a buffet and a number of other cool things that can be ordered. Like a good buffet, no matter what you order, you are at liberty to get your own drink refills. I should have gotten more pictures of the interior, but take my word for it. Vibes are pleasant. The color scheme of the menu matches the color scheme of the booths and light fixtures. Your food must be ordered at a counter, but after that, you don't have to worry about anyone trying to smile at you or approach your table.

For overall quality, Giovanni's gets a 5 out of 5. This isn't pizza made by a bunch of college students. The people at Giovanni's have been making Giovanni's pizza for a good while. Their recipe is spot on, and everything gels together so well. To finish, Giovanni's gets an 85% score. They are the archetype.

No comments:

Post a Comment