I Could Happen to You (feat. Nicolas Cage)

Picture it, Queens New York 1994, there's a good cop named Charlie; a self-sacrificing hero, married to a greedy woman named Muriel. Charlie befriends a waitress who can't afford a divorce and has filed for bankruptcy, thanks to her sleezy husband. Every day Charlie buys a lottery ticket for his wife. I bet you can guess the rest. No stress.

I could have seen myself renting this movie at the Family Video by my grandparents' house, and proceeding to watch it a few times every summer. It wasn't that good, but it was not-bad enough, and easy enough to understand that I and my grandparents would have liked it.

In fact, the premise and the delivery were so basic for this film, I wonder if it was meant to be made in the 60s, but got caught up for thirty years in the red tape of some giant film factory. The story of Charlie and Waitress is all over the papers. New York is actually a really friendly town. Diners and coffee shops are the same thing, which I think is still a New York thing. Right?

1. Raising Arizona
2. Leaving Las Vegas
3. Adaptation
4. Birdy
5. Wild at Heart
6. Color Out of Space
7. City of Angels
8. Gone in 60 Seconds
9. Matchstick Men
10. Vampire's Kiss
11. Face/Off
12. Honeymoon in Vegas
13. The Family Man
14. It Could Happen to You
15. 8mm
16. The Weather Man
17. The Croods

No comments:

Post a Comment