Beyond the Black River by Robert E. Howard

I've never been a huge sword and sorcery kind of guy. Violence doesn't excite me, especially when I know the hero is going to survive and, in the end, move onto a new adventure in which they will survive again. However, I'm interested in anything with wizards and demons in strange worlds. Beyond the Black River is one of the first stories of Conan the Cimmerian (Barbarian). It takes place in the mythical Hyborian Age, on our very earth. Beyond the Black River is fantasy before high fantasy became a thing. That is, before Lord of the Rings.

Conan is a human of maximum prowess. He fights a wizard and saves some people. I don't remember a ton of the details because of the long, violent scenes. Also, I don't care about any of those other ass holes. In fact I would like to see how things would turn out if the evil wizard won and took over the land.

1 comment: