Leaving Las Vegas (feat. Nicolas Cage)

Have you ever tried to escape your problems by focusing instead on the problems of your loved ones? Sure, we all do it. Sometimes it helps to get a change of scenery. Have you ever been a sex worker and fallen in love with a suicidal alcoholic? Probably not. But what if? What could go wrong?

I read the little synopsis for this film, provided by my IMDB or whatever, but I don't think anything could have prepared me for Leaving Las Vegas. It goes where you sometimes wish it wouldn't go but it has to. It's that kind of movie. It moves you and when it doesn't move you it's still trying.

In most of his work, Cage is a great actor. His Cagey style doesn't often work but in Leaving Las Vegas, it Does work in a way most directors fail to capture. I could imagine many guys playing H.I. in Leaving Arizona or the dad in The Croods. However, I think Leaving Las Vegas would have been much different without Cage.

Elisabeth Shue, the only co-star, was also stellar. Her character Sera provides short monologues throughout the film as we watch our characters go through their self-destructive beats. It reminds me of that part of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles when April is reflecting at the farm house. In case you are wondering, I do think the 1989 TMNT movie is great.

Back to Leaving Las Vegas. It is austere in a way that is 99% genuine. The moody saxophone jazz music really puts us in it, lending us patience to watch these scenes that are beautiful and horrific. I'm putting this film at number two and I would be surprised if anything could top it. It equals Raising Arizona in aesthetic and story, sure. However, Leaving Las Vegas is not so entertaining. Its story is more of a slow burn and it's so dark. I don't know if I want to invite anyone to watch it with me.

1. Raising Arizona
2. Leaving Las Vegas
3. City of Angels
4. Gone in 60 Seconds
5. Matchstick Men
6. Honeymoon in Vegas
7. The Family Man
8. The Weather Man
9. The Croods

No comments:

Post a Comment