Story Engineering by Larry Brooks

 

This was recommended to me by Philip Athans's blog on writing fantasy and science fiction.  Larry Brooks spends a LOT of your time, touting how crucial it is to follow his guidelines (especially if you want to ever get published, ever).  Still he gives us a lot of good info.  I learned the difference between "pantsing" and "planning" and how to do the latter.  As expected, most writers use a custom combination of both methods.  He probably.  

I felt like I couldn't confidently begin my current novel until I finished Story EngineeringBy the time I was done, I had a pad full of notes, a beat sheet, and clear plans to execute each of my plot points.  It got me interested in watching movies, as a study in storytelling.  I look for Larry's core competencies in every movie I watch and every book I read and, according to him, most of them should have never been made.  

No comments:

Post a Comment