The Guide to Writing Fantasy and Science Fiction by Philip Athans

 

I think when writing my first novel, I must have googled "How to write a fantasy novel".  As it turns out I had a lot to learn.  Not just about syntax and plot formation, but in world building and the paradigm of fantasy writing.  So before each writing session, I would read a few posts from Philip Athans's supplementary blog until I read every one of his posts.  For some reason, I never brought myself to spend $10 on a used copy of this paper back.  

It's a good read, especially if you have any interest in writing these specific genres.  It gave me a lot of authors to put in my "to read" list and a lot of films to my "to watch" list.  Also, the blog is regularly updated and still holds up.  Check it out!

https://fantasyhandbook.wordpress.com/philip-athans/

No comments:

Post a Comment