City of Angels (feat. Nicolas Cage)

 

In Los Angeles there are a lot of Angels. Mostly they haunt the library and creepily look at people. Sometimes they are angels of death. Angel Seth Plate (played by Cage) develops a fondness for a doctor named Maggy (played by Meg Ryan).

Most of the movie feels like a Meg Ryan film. That's all right. I'd put all of her movies in the top 50% of all films but non are in the top 10%, judging from what I've seen. I haven't actually seen most films. Either way, I like a good romantic comedy.

City of Angels really amps up the drama. So it's half super natural drama and half romantic comedy. There's even a little blood, so it's got something for everyone. The soundtrack is really good. This is the film that brought the Goo Goo Dolls into the mainstream, with Iris. The ambient musak is all good. There's even a somber jam from the great Peter Gabriel.

This is the 3rd Nicolas Cage film I've seen this year. This is how they rank:
1. City of Angels
2. Matchstick Men
3. The Croods

This is the 2nd film I've seen this year about Angles in Los Angeles. This is how they rank:
1. Angels in the Outfield
2. City of Angels

No comments:

Post a Comment