A Man Without a Country by Kurt Vonnegut

 

This one was also a loaner from my pal, Zach. In a way, I resent Kurt Vonnegut... the whimsical existentialist, living the aspirations of every twenty something with a pen and a pack of pall malls. Still none of them will ever get to be the next Kurt Vonnegut. The world only needed (maybe) one and I do resent the crud out of him; always bragging about smoking pall malls. So arrogant. Hating semicolons. Are fragmented sentences really so much more bad ass? Let's remember. He was from the old world, before it was decided that cigarettes should be super expensive and only consumed at certain places at certain times, designated by those who intend to keep us under control and dead when we are no longer exploitable.  

What is with Vonnegut's arrogance? Is that just how the greatest generation were?  I guess they didn't grow up to see everything they've ever done become a subject of mockery on the internet. In a way, maybe I just resent my own lack of confidence. Part of why I read a lot is to get a better grasp on what makes writing good, in hopes of writing better things myself. Regardless I have a hard time bringing myself to create something I know is going to be somewhat humiliating.  

And so it goes. Thanks Kurt. I know probably had the best intentions. I know you were actually a real special guy. You probably never meant to discourage me and remind me what a self-loathing, wretched, shitty writer I am. Let's blame social media.  

3 comments:

  1. I hear ya m’dude. Criticism of others, if constructive, can be good. social media platforms invite and reward people with being thoughtless and mean under the guise of having superior knowledge/opinions. The best advice I’ve ever been given was “stop competing with others, don’t pay attention to them. Instead compete with yourself. You’ll always improve and you can never be a failure.” I’d love to read what you’ve written when you decide it’s time to let someone see it. 🤙 hang loose, duder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this book had a more conversational yone than his others. Kind of reminds me of Mark Twain. Lots of personal stories and anecdotes. In any one sided conversation, the speakers attitude really shines. I do like this one (I think I've only listened to the audio book) but it's not Kurt's finest work. It was his last book though, so there was no better time time for him to put himself out there like this.

    ReplyDelete