Jimbo's Pizza and Wings of Washington, IN


The title says it all.  Jimbo's is kind of a sports bar, really into IU (whatever their mascot is) and some team called the Hatchets (from what I recall).  People at the table near me got bread sticks that were soft pretzels.  I got a standard cheese pizza with a side of red sauce.  When asked if I meant "Pizza Sauce", I said yeah.  I can't bring myself to say Marinara when referring to pizza sauce, which is usually more of a Pomodoro.  Either way, I just want whatever they give out when people want a side of non-meaty, non-ketchup tomato sauce.  
Remember how I gave a score to Bambino's of Hopkinsville?  I would give Jimbo's a 3cr/3ce/3ch.  that's 3/5 mass for crust, 3/5 for sauce, and 3/5 for cheese.  Spoiler alert.  This pizza was made wonderfully and it was delicious in every aspect.  However, this pizza was also average in every way possible.  

The crust scores a 4/5.  Like a traditional midwestern pizza, it was cooked in a greased pan.  Sauce and cheese grease soaked into the dough from the top, creating a perfect "goo" and leaving a fluffy little center between the buttery chew and the greasy goo.  If I were to be really picky, I'd say the dough was a little bit under-kneaded but this style of pizza leaves a huge margin for error.  It's hard to go wrong and I'd rather have it like this than covered in bubbles.  

The sauce scores a 4/5.  It was substantial enough to receive an adequate spread without becoming runny.  It's flavor was just right.  Rich tomatoes, zesty garlic, and whatever it is you get from the right amount of herbs.  I don't know how so many pizza joints get it so wrong.  While I dig Jimbo's sauce, I do find it unremarkable.  That's why it gets a 4.  
    
Overall quality gets a 5/5.  As I said, it's hard to go wrong with this kind of pizza.  

Style gets a 1/5.  There is nothing adventurous here.  Jimbo's didn't invent the generic midwestern pizza.  I don't care about the sport's bar motif and I don't appreciate my pizza money being spent on pay-per-view and espn.  

Jimbo's Pizza and Wings.  You get a 70%.  I certainly hope to enjoy your completely average pizza again someday.  

No comments:

Post a Comment