Sally's Apizza of New Haven, CT

If you have an interest in regional pizza flavors, you've probably heard of the New Haven Tomato Pie, or something similar. So Sally's Tomato Pie with Mozzarella has a ratio* of 1.5cr/2ce/.5ch. That's right, you can't very well see the cheese on this apizza, but it's there with some 'slice pull', adding enough flavor to bring it all home.
Sally's crust gets a 4 out of 5. It's very chewy with lots of char, which isn't everyone's thing. I think the char adds some complexity to the flavor profile, as the sauce can be quite sweet. However, a burnt crust without sauce is pretty unenjoyable and I don't think I can get into heaven unless I eat my crust. You will also get some flour in your mouth, which is normal for neapolitan pizza, but I don't love that feel. However, the goo is there and the goo is if great import.
Sally's sauce gets a 5 out of 5. It's sweet, simple, savory, and perfect. In combination with everything, it's a heavenly bite. For style, I give Sally's a 4 out of 5. It certainly has a style, but $25 is a lot for a 16" pizza with no topppings. But there was a line around the block for it, so I don't blame them for charging so much. I wonder if this exact kind of pizza could succeed so well in other spots. For Quality, I see no reason not to give Sally's a 5 out of 5. They really know what they're doing and they do it right. With a final score of 90%, I'd recommend this spot to anyone who claims to like pizza. My friend John said it was so good, he ate so much it made him sick. I hope that doesn't happen to me.

* Let me explain my ratio system, regarding mass of standard Pizza Elements. Cr=Crust. Ce=Sauce. Ch=Cheese.

For CR (CRust), 1 is the equivalent of a transparent pizza in the New York style, or the rolled-out, crackery Saint Louis style. 3 would be a regular Domino's hand-tossed Pizza. 4 would be like a Pizza Hut Pan Pizza, and 5 would be like a Sicilian Pizza or some varieties of Deep Dish.

For Ce (sauCE), 1 would be a watery sauce with a thin spreading, no clumping and no oozing. In this cause, the sauce is an afterthought, more like oregano than a key ingredient. 3 would be what you'd expect from a Pizza Hut Pan Pizza. 5 would require a fork to eat.

For CH (CHeese), 1 would be a transparent layer, mostly existing to assure you that your pizza indeed Does have cheese on it. 3 would be a regular Domino's hand-tossed pizza. 4 would be what you get on a Pizza Hut Pan Pizza. And 5 would be what you get in a pizza that requires a fork to eat, like a respectable Deep Dish Pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment