The Pizza Place of Beaver Dam Kentucky

There may be another place to eat or buy pizza in this tiny Kentucky town, but I don't think any could attain the staple status of this wonderful little shop. While their self-serve soda machine didn't have Diet Pepsi (in favor of Diet Mountain Dew and Diet Doctor Pepper), I was completely charmed by everything else the Place had to offer.
My large cheese pizza had a ratio of 2cr/2ce/2ch*. The worst part of it (by far) was the crust. It did its job, but there was hardly any flavor. And like my last pizza experience, the bottom wasn't properly cooked. It wasn't obviously underdone or extra gooey, just lackluster.
On the other hand, the sauce was perfect. It was that thick, rich kind of stuff I love. I give it a 5 out of 5.
For style, the Pizza Place gets an obvious 5 out of 5. It looks like something I would have put together in Microprose's DOS classic, Pizza Tycoon. Red checkered floors, red checkerd tablecloths, and a community-drawn homage on one wall, to the Pizza Place's legendary Monster Pizza, a 28" feast for the whole team. Every inch of the establishment gave a caressing scream of character.
Finally, for overall quality I'll give the Pizza Place a 4 out of 5. It's no surprise I didn't agree with how the pizza was cooked. The sauce distribution was also off, as some bites had almost none. Which is too bad, considering how important said sauce was to the enjoyment of my pizza. With a final score of 80%, I would love to show this Place of Pizza to some of my friends and loved ones.

* There is a scale for thickness of crust. 1 is paper thin, usually new york style. 5 is a sicilian or thickly crusted deep dish. Papa John's would get a 3. Pizza Hut pan pizza would get a 4.

There is a scale for the volume of sauce. 1 is a very thin spread. Not enough to make a 1 crust become soggy. 1 sauce with any other type of crust will make the pizza seem like cheesy bread. A 5 for sauce would be a lake between a curved bowl of crust and cheese. Papa John's would get a 3. Pizza Hut would typically get a 2.

There is a scale for the volume of cheese. 1 is a dusting of a finely shredded cheese. The sauce will be visible and there may be holes in the coverage. 5 is a piling that spills across your pan (or box) when a slice is pulled away. Papa John's would get a 3. Pizza Hut would get a 4.

To make it simple, I write these ratios for mass and volume in code. CR means crust. CE means sauce. CH means cheese. And the final reading will look like 2cr/2ce/2ch. Got it?

No comments:

Post a Comment