How to Start Your Own Religion by Philip Athans

For thos who don't know, I'm a fan of Athans' narrative series and blog on writing Science Fiction and Fantasy. And after about eight years of reading every blog post, I finally got around to reading one of his novels. But this wasn't the novel, I was expecting. It's a parody of a self-help or general howto on, you guessed it, starting your own religion.

Of course there are all extremes of flavor outside the Christian denominations I'm familiar with. I could start an evil death cult with its own rituals and holidays. Apparently there are even religions that don't require some form of monetary support, but Athans advises us on coming up with sacred texts, and other forms of monetization. As you'd expect, powerful religious figures rarely keep day jobs. I might only recomend this book if you're really interested in that kind of thing. It's more funny than informative. Not super funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment