Nick's English Hut of Bloomington Indiana

To be honest, I'd never have thought to check this place out if they didn't come up when googling "Pizza Near Me", requiring me to try it because, who knows, it could be a hidden gem. On the Kirkwood strip toward campus, this sports pub is mostly a place for bros and fatherly alumni to take their kids for a burger while they're in town for homecoming or whatever. But I could be wrong since I've never been on a Saturday night.
The interior is crowded but cozy, and to pick up my to go order, I found myself vying for eye contact with the bartender to announce my intent to pick up a pizza. A situation only tolerable after large beer or two, which I'd not had. My $15, 14-inch pizza (not including a $2, giant order of red sauce) came in a no-frills white box, with an encouragingly substantial heft. The ratios for said pizza are 3cr/2ce/3ch.

The crust gets a 2 out of 5. It's chewy and pizza-like, but fairly dense, and flavorless. Justine suspects it was precooked, like a store bought crust. It's possible, but either way the dough needs more yeast. The sauce gets a 1 out of 5. While fairly thin, I couldn't taste any tomato. All I could taste was parsley and lots of it, stems and all.

For style, I guess they get a 2. Nick's has pizza, but it's not their thing. Serving the standard fair of a sport's pub, I'm sure something else on their menu is especially good, and I have to suspicions about what that is. For overall quality, their pizza gets a Bloomington 4. You can't blame a good cook for a bad recipe. I was very disappointed, considering how good the pie looked. But it hardly tasted like pizza. So all in all, Nicks gets a firm 45%. Sorry guy. If you're going to serve the worst pizza in town, you should be charging way less.

No comments:

Post a Comment