Frank's Pizza of Silvis Illinois

I chose this joint because it's also a small chain, figuring it would also be quad-cities style. But it wasn't. At best, it was normal pizza. The interior of the joint is great, with a factory level kitchen, and the decor of a 70s cafeteria. There's also a liquor bar, which isn't that weird for Illinois, where you can sell liquor pretty much anywhere. But its presence suggests this place used to be a real urban hangout.
My diet coke was served to me in a can, with a cup of ice. A non-disposable plastic plate was also brought to me before I'd even ordered. Despite my intention to order a cheese pizza, I wanted to try pretty much everything on the menu. Who doesn't love mini corn dogs or the mere fantasy of a tenderloin marinara? You can also order a quart of salad dressing. It's on the menu, so it must be an incredible salad dressing. I wanted it. I could eat here every day, if only the pizza, which they're named for, had lived up to its honor.
Back to a more neutral ground, The ratio of this pizza is 2cr/2ce/3ch. Now for the dirty. Their crust gets a 2 out of 5. Excess dust at the bottom amplified my thirst, which I couldn't adequately slake with a nursed can of soda. Both crusty and soggy, the center of the pie was unable to hold itself together. The sauce also gets a 2 out of 5. It was too watery. The flavor was fine, but there wasn't much of it. I think if plain, canned tomato sauce is going to be the base of your pizza sauce, then it needs to be cooked down. But still, it suffers from a lack of pulp. The flavor of the sauce was fine, but there was not enough to it.
For style, I'll give Franks a 4. Despite my disinterest in their pizza, everything else that came out of the kitchen was looking awesome. And if I'd known their deal with the diet coke, I'd have ordered an iced tea. No problem. Frank's is still my kind of zero-frills kind of joint. But onto overall quality, Franks gets a 2 out of 5, giving us a total of 50%.

No comments:

Post a Comment