Saint Giuseppe's Heavenly Pizza of Moline, IL

For some time I've wanted to fully discover, for myself, the true meaning of quad-cities style pizza. By quad-cities, I mean the area where I was born, the area where Moline, Davenport, Bettendorf, and Rock Island come together. Founded in 1997, Saint Giuseppe's isn't the original quad-cities pizza chain, but it had good ratings. Per usual, I got a regular cheese pizza with a side of red sauce. The ratio for the pie was 2cr/2ce/3ch.
I'll rate their crust a 3 out of 5. It's crispy, puffy, and chewy, tasting and feeling more like homemade bread than pizza crust, which is more than I can say about the cardboard you often find in new, mysterious joints. Their sauce also gets a 3 out of 5. It's pretty spicy for a pizza sauce, which I heard is characteristic of quad-cities pizza. There were no discernable flavors beyond red pepper and tomato in this otherwise good, thick sauce.
For style, Giuseppe's gets a 4 of 5. I like when a pie is cut into strips. It makes it easier to dip. And despite the crust being bready and the sauce being spicy, this pizza doesn't really stand-out when you don't look at it closely. The joint itself looked like it was once a cozy family joint, left in a state of disarray for pandemic-style seating. Each way I turned my head, I felt like I was facing yet another light bulb. Nice-looking guitars were hung on the wall, going to waste as decorations.
They get a 4 out of 5 for quality. There was nothing wrong with my pizza, and nothing amazing. It was good. If it were cheaper and in my town, I'd get it when I want to mix things up. Overall, Saint Giuseppe's Heavenly Pizza gets a 70%.

No comments:

Post a Comment