The Mouse and the Motorcycle by Beverly Cleary

During my month of young reading, I let myself revisit this one from a series I very much loved in first grade. I acquired a few toy motorcycles with knowingly far-fetched hopes that a mouse might befriend me, and turn my toy into a real zoomer. It never happened. Still my imaginings of Ralph with the little motorcycle were so vivid despite the bare prose of this work. Even if I'd already read the book, as a kid I felt so much emotion regarding the Ralph's well-being. And it wasn't just because I read with such deliberation. Cleary knew how to get into kids' heads and make them feel things. And returning to this book as an adult wasn't much of an experience. It's a cute story about a brave mouse who got a motorcycle, and that's it.

No comments:

Post a Comment