Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Expanding on my month of 'young reading', I decided to check out this classic, which I'd never checked out before. For some reason, I thought this would be the first in the series, but I was wrong. Either way, it's a pretty fun tale about a family that moves to the prairie and builds up a nice homestead. Appreciating the level of detail in the goal-oriented actions of the Wilders, I imagined myself setting up in the prairie, with a little log house and a couple mustang ponies, or whatever they were.

But I don't even think people can do that kind of thing, anymore. Is there any free land, anywhere? Probably not, but I guess that's okay. In this day and age, it seems irresponsible to habitate in a place without cell-service, very far from a hospital or a fire station. And really, the Prairie wasn't the safest place for the Wilders, a family with some survival skills. So I guess people like me are better off in stupid little neighborhoods.

No comments:

Post a Comment