Bucceto's Pizza and Pasta of Bloomington, Indiana

Since my first bite, I knew Bucceto's was my favorite pizza in Bloomington. But that was five years ago, in a world that's always changing faster than I am. I was obedient to the 'wait to be seated' sign, even though my order was to go. You might guess my order, a large cheese with a side of red sauce. The red sauce they gave me was spaghetti sauce, within which most of its flavor was suffocated by hamburger grease. Maybe the people at some pizza shops don't know that I mean pizza sauce when I say red sauce. And I say red sauce, because Marinara is not what goes on pizza. Marinara is meant to be chunky and watery, while Pizza sauce is meant to be smooth like Pomodoro sauce.
So anyway, I wouldn't give so much attention to the side sauce, if there was more sauce on their pizza. There was more on it than would usually go on a Domino's pie, but not enough to really taste aside from the clear hints of oregano. Also, their crust was much thicker this time than it has ever been. So as of today, Bucceto's pizza has a ratio of 3cr/1.5ce/3ch.

I'll rate their crust a 4 out of 5. It's sweet, chewy, and easy to eat, almost as good as what they have at Greek's. Their sauce, going on what I've had before, also gets a 4 out of 5. It's not so thin that I could drink it, but I would if I could. It's savory, tangy, sweet, and floral, and when combined with their sweet crust, it makes Bucceto's pizza a real treat.

For overall quality, I'd give Bucceto's a Bloomington 4. It seems like they're having some issues with consistency, as if their Manager lets the cooks make the pizzas exactly how they want, instead of exactly how it's always been done. Still, the 'za was of good, acceptable quality.

But I will delegate the penalty of their inconsistency to Style, which gets a 2 out of 5. There's nothing outstanding about Bucceto's standard, midwestern pizza. Their menu has other things, like pasta, all made with a combination of very few ingredients. I've had one of their salads before, and it was on par with Steak'N'Shake. Aside from the very cool 90s art on their walls, Pizza is the only thing Bucceto's has going for it. And at $14 for a 16" cheese, I don't get it too often, leaving this joint with an overall score of 70%.

No comments:

Post a Comment