Damned by Chuck Palaniuk

I wonder if every Chuck Palaniuk novel forever will have "from the Author of Fight Club" on its cover. But Damned is every bit as gruesome and edgy, almost gratuitously so. It's about a preteen girl who goes to hell and becomes a telemarketer. People go to hell for not obeying Jesus, who is the top deity of our time, and all the old gods are demons. Hell is pretty bad, but not everyone there is so bad. The worst people are apparently the Hollywood narcissists, materialists, and modern day pharisees. I can get with that. Goodreads tells me Damned is part of a series, which has me wondering about Chuck and his agent. Really, I should read more of his work before deciding whether or not Damned is Chuck's second best book, and worthy of its own series. Either way, I don't think he's going to have another Fight Club, made legendary by its cool movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment