Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James

Christian Grey is a corporate CEO, more or less omnipotent in our civilized american scope. Anastasia Steele is a virgin who drinks English breakfast tea. In this story Christian murmurs his desires to Anastasia, who fulfills them, and later, sends Christian passive aggressive emails. Neither character is likeable or interesting, but they don't need to be. They are filling very specific roles in James's fantasy. It's not my fantasy. Not my thing. Not interesting.

James writes her story in present tense as an excuse to use passive voice 100% of the time. Perhaps this was a device to highlight the expected submissiveness of our narrator Ana. I don't know if it bears thinking about. I hope the movie's better than the book, but I doubt it will be unless its x-rated.

No comments:

Post a Comment