Virtual Mode by Piers Anthony


I started with the audio book, but the audio book went bad. That's what I get for using Soulseek, you might say. Anyway, the hook for Virtual Mode was so good I had to finish it, for better or for worse.

It starts out as the story of a suicidal teenager Colene, who finds a man (Darius) from another dimension, passed out in the ditch by her house. Darius is from another dimension, out of infinite dimensions (called Modes). Darius is the Cyng of Hlahtar (all the names are ridiculous) and came to Colene's Mode to find a wife; one he can keep instead of divorcing once he depleted her joy. People in Hlahtar can't produce their own joy, so the Cyng has to do it for them.

In Colene's Mode people can produce their own joy, which is great for Darius. Or is it? I don't want to spoil too much for you, but Darius and Colene go to a bunch of different Modes. Don't let the beginning give you an idea of what this story will be like. Virtual Mode changes trajectory several times and ends eventually. It's part of a series, so it doesn't really end, and I'm gonna take my time before reading the other four books in this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment