Deep Work by Cal Newport

Like anyone, I have a bit of an attention deficit when sitting at my computer. Any time I have to wait for anything, I want to hop on over to the other tab and see if there are any new posts, emails, notifications, deals, news, etc. I even have a hard time keeping my eyes on the page as I’m reading. So instead, I will just sit there for who knows how long. To Cal Newport day dreaming seems fine, especially when it is intentional.

As it turns out, we have a lot to think about and we don’t always give ourselves time to do that thinking. So we end up having anxiety and what do we do when we’re anxious? Often we try to distract ourselves from our anxieties and end up in a constant state of distraction.

I used to always just like to have something on in the background, like a boring tv show. As it turns out, I work more effectively and think deeper thoughts without distractions and interruptions. Newport hypothesizes that deep work is becoming increasingly rare at the exact same rate it is becoming increasingly valuable.

I buy it. Deep Work suggests many strategies for achieving deep work and enhancing the effectiveness of the work you do. It’s a great read if you are interested in someday expanding on your sense of achievement.

No comments:

Post a Comment